Digital Marketing Course
Digital Marketing Course: Why I Chose Digital Marketing After Radio
But before choosing a course, I think it is important to
understand why you want to learn digital marketing in the first place.
For me, the answer was actually very simple.
It was my connection with people.
I have spent years working in radio. Every day, I speak to
people I cannot actually see. I talk, tell stories, play songs, ask questions,
take calls and interact with listeners. My job is not just to speak into a
microphone. My job is to make people stay, listen and feel connected.
And that's exactly where I found my connection with digital
marketing.
Radio and digital marketing are more similar than you
think
When I started learning digital marketing, I slowly realised
that many things I was already doing in radio were happening on digital
platforms too.
The platform changed.
The way we communicate changed.
But the basic idea remained the same:
Connect with people. Get their attention. Give them
something useful or interesting. And make them stay.
On radio, I might have only a few seconds to make someone
interested in what I'm saying.
On Instagram, YouTube or any other digital platform, it's
almost the same.
People are scrolling.
There are hundreds of other things competing for their
attention.
So I need to give them a reason to stop.
In radio, I might say something interesting at the beginning
of a show so that the listener doesn't change the frequency.
On social media, that same idea becomes a hook.
The format is different, but the purpose is similar.
But there is one big difference
There is something very interesting about digital media.
In radio, I can't see most of the people listening to me.
I can interact with them through phone calls, WhatsApp
messages and other ways, but I don't see their immediate reactions.
I might say something on air and wonder:
Did they like that? Did they laugh? Did they agree? Did
they switch channels?
Digital media gives me a completely different experience.
I can create something and immediately see people reacting
to it.
They can like it, comment, share it, save it or simply
scroll past it.
Sometimes, they even tell you exactly what they think.
That instant feedback is something I really enjoy about
digital marketing.
It gives you an opportunity to understand people in a
completely different way.
The microphone became the camera
For me, this is probably the simplest way to explain the
connection.
In radio, I have a microphone.
On digital platforms, I might have a camera.
With a microphone, I use my voice to connect with people.
With digital content, I can use my voice, face, visuals,
text and storytelling together.
The goal hasn't completely changed.
I still want people to listen.
I still want people to connect.
I still want to tell a story.
The difference is that now people can see me, react
instantly and even share my content with someone else.
That's why digital marketing felt natural to me.
It wasn't a completely new world.
It was another way of doing something I had already been
doing for years.
But digital marketing is much bigger than social media
This is something I understood after getting deeper into the
field.
When people hear digital marketing, many immediately think
about Instagram.
Instagram is a huge part of the digital world, but digital
marketing is much bigger than that.
There is SEO.
There is content marketing.
There are search engines, websites, email marketing, paid
advertising, analytics, Google Ads and many other areas.
For example, imagine you own a small bakery.
You can use Instagram to show your cakes and attract
attention.
You can use Google to help people find your bakery when they
search for something like “birthday cake near me.”
You can create useful content about choosing the right cake
for different occasions.
You can run an advertisement for a special offer.
And you can check the data to understand which campaign
actually brought customers.
All of these can become part of digital marketing.
That's why I don't see digital marketing as simply posting
on Instagram.
It's much bigger than that.
Social media is powerful, but it takes time to understand
If you're planning to choose a digital marketing course, I
would pay special attention to social media marketing.
Not because social media is everything, but because it has
become such a big part of how businesses communicate with people.
Today, a small business can build an audience without having
a huge advertising budget.
A home baker can show their products through Instagram.
A fitness trainer can share useful tips through Reels.
A local restaurant can use short videos to show its food and
atmosphere.
A freelancer can use LinkedIn to showcase their work.
A photographer can use Instagram to build a portfolio.
A small business owner can answer customer questions through
social media and build relationships directly.
But there is one thing to remember.
Social media keeps changing.
The trend that works today may not work the same way next
year.
People's attention changes.
Content formats change.
Algorithms change.
Even the way people consume videos keeps changing.
So when you're choosing a digital marketing course, don't
choose one only because it teaches you how to use one particular platform or
one particular trend.
Choose something that helps you understand how digital
marketing works.
Learn the fundamentals first.
Then keep learning as the platforms change.
Don't just learn. Experiment.
This is probably one of the biggest things I would tell
anyone starting a digital marketing course.
Don't spend months only watching classes.
Start doing things.
Create a page.
Write a post.
Make a Reel.
Try SEO.
Build a small website.
Study your analytics.
Try something different.
And when something doesn't work, don't immediately think
you've failed.
Ask yourself why it didn't work.
Maybe the topic wasn't interesting.
Maybe the first few seconds weren't strong enough.
Maybe the content was too long.
Maybe you were talking to the wrong audience.
Maybe people liked the content but didn't have a reason to
take action.
That's where the real learning starts.
My radio experience taught me something important
Working in radio taught me that people don't owe you their
attention.
You have to earn it.
I think the same thing is true in digital marketing.
Nobody has to watch your Reel.
Nobody has to read your blog.
Nobody has to click your advertisement.
Nobody has to follow your page.
There are thousands of other options available to them.
So the question is always:
Why should they stop for you?
That's where understanding people becomes more important
than simply knowing tools.
You can learn how to schedule a post.
You can learn how to run an advertisement.
You can learn SEO techniques.
But if you don't understand the person you're trying to
reach, all those tools become much less useful.
So, should you take a digital marketing course?
If you're completely new to digital marketing, a good course
can give you a proper starting point.
But choose wisely.
Don't look only at the certificate.
Look at what you're actually going to learn.
Does the course teach practical work?
Does it cover SEO, content, social media, paid advertising
and analytics?
Does it help you understand how to measure results?
Does it teach you how to think like a marketer instead of
simply showing you which buttons to click?
And most importantly, does it encourage you to
experiment?
Because digital marketing doesn't stay the same.
You finish a course, but the learning doesn't finish there.
New platforms come.
New trends come.
New tools come.
New ways of communicating with people come.
You have to keep learning.
Why I chose digital marketing
When I look at my journey from radio to digital marketing, I
don't really see them as two completely different careers.
I see them as two different ways of connecting with people.
In radio, I use my voice.
In digital, I can use my voice, face, visuals, writing and
data.
In radio, I try to keep someone listening.
In digital, I try to make someone stop scrolling.
In radio, I interact with listeners.
In digital, I can interact with people through comments,
messages, shares and reactions.
And in both, one thing remains the same:
People are at the centre of everything.
That's probably the biggest reason I chose digital
marketing.
The technology may keep changing.
The platforms may keep changing.
The trends may keep changing.
But our need to connect with people will always remain.
And for someone coming from radio, that makes digital
marketing feel less like starting something completely new…
and more like finding a new microphone.
Chichu l Freelance Digital Marketer in Alappuzha





Comments
Post a Comment